Chili is such a wonderful food to fill you up. Add a few unsalted crackers to this and you have a great meal. You can make this and freeze it for use later – put one cup in a baggie and freeze lying flat, then when you are ready to eat it, pull it out and put it into a microwave safe bowl and cook. It’s great for renal diets because there are no beans, so you have a lower phosphorus level. Let me know what you think!
- 1.5 pounds lean ground beef
- 16 ounce can low sodium stewed tomatoes, blenderized
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1-2 tablespoons chili powder (to taste)
- ½ cup onions, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- ½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1.5 cups water
- Heat large skillet on medium heat. Add oil, onion, celery, and pepper until tender but not brown.
- Add ground beef, breaking into small pieces and cook until brown.
- Add blenderized tomatoes, chili powder, and water. Mix thoroughly; reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for several hours.
- Serving Size = 1 cup
- Potassium = 450 mg
- Phosphorus = 180 mg
Also published on Medium.