A Healthy Smoothie For People With Kidney Failure
Yummy, don’t you love it when you find a great smoothie recipe. But most of them contain bananas and other ingredients that you want to avoid. Here is a delicious smoothie recipe for you to enjoy without over doing it on the potassium and phosphorus. 4 ounce servings are small, but if you need more calories to gain some weight, you can drink bigger portions.
This is a very light tasting smoothie. You will need to keep all items cold prior to mixing if you want to have the best outcome.
Place all the ingredients in the blender, and blend until smooth – about 4 minutes.
I recommend putting the applesauce in first so your oats mix in easier. You can sprinkle some additional cinnamon on top if you like. The recipe is also gluten free if you use gluten free oats.
Print the recipe below for your family to enjoy.
- 12 ounces Sprite or similar fruit flavored, caffiene free soda
- 2 cups canned applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 3 ounce packages gelatin, sweet
- Use a 8 x 11.5 pan that is 2 quart capacity for the final product to chill in. Put the applesauce in a 2 quart saucepan, then add the jello using a whisk.
- Mix together and heat gently until jello is dissolved - you may see a few bubbles as you stir continuously. Warming gently takes about 5 minutes on low - medium heat.
- Remove from heat, then add the lemon-lime soda a little at a time while mixing into the jello.
- Pour into the 2 quart pan - it will be a little foamy on top.
- Refrigerate until it sets - about 2 hours.
- Calories 125, Protein 2 gm, Carbohydrate 31 gm, Fat 0 gm, Sodium 105 mg, Potassium 47 mg, Phosphorus 33 mg
Let us know what you would like to see more of! We are posting new recipes every Thursday and want to make something you would enjoy!